The most popular career option amongst every science background student is being a doctor professionally. This is not only the most popular course but also the most competitive one. This is such a noble profession that the demand for this profession never falters. It escalates always as with the growth of population the number of patients also increases causing the need for efficient doctors. A very able doctor is looked up to and often given the position of God himself. Students who are willing to make a career in this line can take a look at these 10 best medical courses after 12th science that will be beneficial for them to choose from.
Also Read: Best Courses After 12th Science PCM
This is the list of 10 Best Medical Courses For 12th Science Students:
1. Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
This is the most popular medical course available in India. The course is of 5 ½ years in which 4 ½ is devoted to academics and 1 year to internships. Also, MBBS is the minimum required qualification to practice as a doctor in India. It is a course that is a combination of two professional degrees of medicine and surgery. This course consists of 9 semesters. You will be trained in both the two subjects that is medicine and surgery each semester and have to sit for practical and theory papers. By studying MBBS one can become a doctor in Allopathic Medicine. Once you have completed your MBBS you opt for higher education or be practitioner, surgeon, etc.
Eligibility Criteria For MBBS
- For admission in MBBS you are required to have a percentage of 50% in your 12 and in the following subjects:
- There is a reservation of 10% for the ST/SC.
- You need to be at least 19 years old and a maximum of 25 years of age to apply for MBBS.
Admission Procedure for MBBS
There are few procedures or steps which you have to follow for your admission in MBBS:
- There is an entrance exam which you need to appear for. Eg: AIMS CET, AIPMT, etc
- One has to do well in the entrance exam and secure a good score in order to rank in the merit list.
- You will get the option of colleges as per your score and you can choose one college amongst them. You need to submit your documents during the counseling session.
The admission depends on how well you do in your entrance exam along with how impressive your documents are at the time of the counseling session.
2. Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
This is the only Dental course in India which is approved and paves the way to a recognized profession. It can also be pursued after MBBS and it is one of the popular courses among which are pursued after MBBS.
It is an undergraduate degree of 5 years which helps the students to enter the profession of dental science and surgery. There are currently 300 dental colleges in India along with 26,000 seats in both private and government universities. The average annual fee for pursuing BDS is around 1 lakh-8lakhs. In BDS student studies Dental Histology, Oral Pathology, Oral Surgery, Emergency Medicine, etc.
Eligibility Criteria For BDS
- Students should secure at least 50% in their class 12 exams in the following subjects:
Admission Procedure For BDS
- Students have to sit for an entrance namely NEET which is compulsory for admission.
- Great in-depth subject knowledge is required mainly in science subjects so that it will be easy for one to do well and score high in the NEET exam.
- There are various cut-offs set by different colleges and you need to clear them in order to continue with your admission process in those selected colleges through a counseling session.
- There are a total of 3 rounds in the NEET counseling session and you have to be well prepared for all 3 of them.
3. BSc Nursing
Nursing course after 12th helps a student to become a Registered Nurse (RN). The duration of this course is 3-4 years. This course helps one develop critical thinking skills, competence, and the required standards for the practice of a professional nurse and midwifery. As, the requirement of nurses is increasing day by day the demand is predicted to increase largely in the near future. BSc Nursing course is registered and controlled under the Indian National Council.
Eligibility Criteria For BSc Nursing
There are different eligibility criteria for different colleges. The basic requirements for the BSc Nursing entrance exam are as follows:
- Minimum of 45% is required in the following subjects in class 12th examination:
- English should be a compulsory subject in class 12.
Admission Procedure For BSc Nursing
The admission procedure for BSc Nursing is based on the entrance exam which is held between April-June. The facility of both offline and online application is available for students to fill up.
- You should lookout for the best BSc Nursing Colleges in India as well as in your state. Choose whichever college you like and search for the entrance exam which you have to take for your admission.
- For filling up the form go to the particular University or college’s website and fill-up the form with all necessary details and ID requirements. Make the necessary payment online or offline.
- The admission of the student isn’t guaranteed by the payment. The admission of the candidate depends on their scores in the entrance exam.
4. Bachelor of Pharmacy (B Pharma)
This degree helps you to become a licensed chemist in India. The duration of this course is 4 years and this course primarily focuses on subjects based on pharmacy, chemistry, biology, and healthcare. It is an undergraduate degree in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. B Pharm is mainly the study of various drugs and its effect on your body which majorly is the study of drugs and medicine, their pharmacological action, chemical formulation and structure, biochemistry, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for B Pharma
The criteria for a student to get admission in B. PHARM are:
- The student should have subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics in their plus two-level.
- The first-year course for B Pharma will be from PCI and then for 2 years you will get admission in a B Pharma course in a college.
- There are entrance exams like MET, BITSAT, NIPER JEE, KCET, etc. One has to sit in these exams to get through with the admission in B Pharma.
Admission Procedure for B Pharma
- For getting admission in a good B Pharma college you need to fulfill the basic eligibility criteria. One needs to do exceptionally well in their class 12th board exams as well.
- If you sit and clear any of the above-mentioned entrance exams with good results then you’ll be assured of your admission is a good college.
- The preparation for the B Pharma entrance exam preparation should be started from 2 years before you sit for the exam for exceptional results. You should also be aware of the eligibility, cut-off, application process, deadline, fees, and other updates.
5. Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharma D)
In Pharma D the students are taught the art and science of preparing and dispensing medicines. The duration of the course is 6 years and consists of 12 semesters. The students are trained here in clinical pharmacy, pharmacy practice, and pharmaceutical care. The skills which the student gain after the Pharma D Course are diagnosis and treatment of a disease, selection, and therapeutic use of drugs and monitoring patients.
Eligibility Criteria for Pharma D
The students who want to opt Pharma D has to fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- The student must have a score of a minimum of 55% in higher and senior secondary levels (class 10th & class 12th) and should be from a recognized educational board.
- It is mandatory for the student to complete his/her class 12th in science stream, along with which they must have a minimum aggregate of 60% in PCM (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics) or PCB (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology).
Admission Procedure for Pharma D
The students have to sit for an entrance exam and need to pass on it. The exams are conducted by any university at state and national levels. After that they have to pass the entrance exam also they have to go through different rounds which include group discussion round and personal interview which is a part of the counseling session or procedure.
The major entrance exams conducted for Pharma D In India are:
- GPAT (Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test)
- UP-CPMT (Uttar Pradesh Combined Pre-Medical Test)
- PM ET (Punjab Pre-Medical Entrance Test)
- UPSEE PHARMACY (Uttar-Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
6. Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medical And Surgery (BAMS)
In this course students are taught the concept of Ayurveda and Ayurvedic medicine. The duration of this course is 5 ½ years and after completing BAMS a student gets the title of Doctor of Ayurveda. We all are already aware that Ayurveda is the oldest system of medicine and it includes studies of natural herbs and its medicine for health Science. BAMS is mainly the study of integrated systems of modern medicine and traditional Ayurveda. After the course is completed the student can put the title of Vaidyar before their name (abbreviated as Vr).
Eligibility Criteria For BAMS
The student opting for BAMS degree has to fulfill the following criteria:
- 45% is the minimum percentage which the student has to score in his/her class 12 from a recognized board.
- The student who will opt for BAMS must have Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in Class 12, as mandatory subjects.
Admission Procedure for BAMS:
- The students who want to opt for BAMS have to sit for an entrance exam known as NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test). This exam is now also a mandatory exam for most of the medical courses, including BAMS.
- Once the student has taken the NEET exam and scored well, centralized counseling is held in which the college is allotted according to one’s performance in the counseling. Thereafter the college may have a personal interview conducted. In case of a personal interview being taken you need to go through another session for further screening.
7. Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS)
In this course students are taught how to treat patients by use of homeopathic methods and medicine.
The duration of this course is 5 ½ years and after a student has completed the course, he/she will be known as Doctor of Homeopathic. The BHMS course consists of theoretical and practical knowledge of the homeopathic systems. The term Homeopathy is based on the power of self-healing of the human body and pays tension on accentuating that. Homeopathy is the most popular medication system which is practiced in India after Allopathy and Ayurveda.
The BHMS course consists of topics like:
- Human Anatomy
- Community Medicine
Eligibility Criteria for BHMS
- A minimum of 50% in class 12 is required for the student to opt for BHMS.
- The student who wants to opt for BHMS has to have Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English as mandatory subjects.
- Student’s minimum age for opting BHMS has to be 17 years.
Admission Procedure for BHMS
- The students who want to opt for BHMS have to sit for different entrance exams both at the national and state level.
- The students are selected on the basis of the marks they score in the entrance exam which is followed by a round of Group discussion and personal interview.
- The students are judged on the basis of their skills and abilities in these counseling rounds and after these counseling rounds, on the basis of their performance their college seat will be allotted.
8. Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery (BUMS)
This is the course that focuses on treating a patient using the Unani System of healing. The duration of this course is 5 ½ years and it’s an undergraduate course.
Eligibility Criteria for BUMS
- 50% to 55% is the minimum percentage which you need to score in your class 12 board examination.
- The students opting for BUMS must have studied with the science stream in their class 12 along with subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are mandatory.
- The age limit of the student varies from college to college.
Admission Procedure for BUMS
- The students have to sit for an entrance exam which is conducted by many universities and colleges.
- Government colleges held their entrance exams on their own.
- Few popular BUMS entrance exams are:
- AP-EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Common Entrance Test)
- Telangana TS EAMCET Entrance Exam
- Assam CEE Entrance Test
9. Bachelor Of Physiotherapy (BPT)
In this course students are taught how to treat patients who have got injuries from accidents and recover from surgeries through massage, exercises, and movement of muscles. The duration of the course is 4 ½ years. This course mainly deals with the science of physical movement for preventing disease and disabilities. Students who opt BPT are taught the skills of manual therapy, exercises, and application of electro-physical mode of treatment which helps in curing and preventing a variety of disabilities and diseases.
Eligibility Criteria For BPT
The students who are willing to opt for BPT have to fulfill the following criteria:
- The students who are opting for BPT have to have a minimum of 50% aggregate in their class 12 board examination and for the SC/ST/OBC students the minimum aggregate is 45%.
- The students must have studied with the science stream in his/her class 12 with mandatory subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- There are some entrance exams which are held for specific regions so for them you need to provide your domicile certificate.
Admission Procedure for BPT
The admission procedure provided to the students in India is based on performance in an Institute-specific entrance test:
- In this course there two additional rounds of counseling and private interview are held for testing the student’s general aptitude.
- The students who will fill-up the form online have to visit the administrator’s website of that particular entrance exam and fill up the required form. Once the form is completed the student has to take a print out of it and along with which he/she has to send the required documents and DD of the required amount to the exam body of the particular entrance exam.
- The students who fill-up the form offline shall do the same just along with the brochure provided to them by a particular entrance exam conducting body.
10. Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (BVSc & AH)
In this course students are taught how to treat animals who are suffering from disease by utilizing the knowledge of Biology and Technology. The duration of the course is 5 years. This course consists of animal physiology and various methods to treat and prevent the diseases occurring among animals.
Eligibility Criteria for BVSc & AH
- The student is required to score a minimum aggregate of 55% in his/her class 12 board exam.
- The student who is opting for this course must be from a science background and should have studied subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in his/her class 12.
Admission Procedure For BVSc & AH
- The admission of students for this course is based on their marks in the class 12 board exam.
- There are many universities which conducts entrance exams, students have to sit for them if they are willing to opt this course
- Along with that Veterinary Council of India conducts exams all over India known as All India Common Entrance Examination (AICEE).
- The exams for this course is usually held in the month of may every year.
There are a few common exams which are taken for this course which are:
- AIPVT – All India Pre-Veterinary Test and it is a test taken or conducted by AICEE.
- JCECE: Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination is an examination that is held yearly by the Jharkhand Combined Entrance Examination Board.
Before taking up any medical course after 12th Science it is essential for the students to have a good knowledge of the available options. One should choose a course that fits their aptitude and taste or preference. The scope for doctors is ever-increasing and good medical professionals are always sought for. Hence all these courses are bound to help any individual make a very successful profession.