The dream of many aspiring medical students is to study medicine abroad and pursue a career in the healthcare sector. The opportunities abroad seem endless thanks to the various student exchange programs that are available. Students who choose to study Medicine in the USA could have numerous reasons. Perhaps they have family or friends living there, maybe they’ve always wanted to live there or it could be for educational purposes like its cheaper than most other countries. Whatever your reasons may be, let us guide you through how you can successfully get admitted into one of their medical schools, what courses you will need to study and where the best places are for you to do so.
Why Indian Students must pursue MBBS in USA?
- As the name suggests, the medical system in the USA is very different to that of the Indian system. As an aspiring doctor, you’ll need to understand how things run there, what the system is like, what the difference is in terms of treatment and how the hospital system is run. It is only then that you can make the decision to pursue your MBBS course there.
- A few differences between the two countries include – In the US, you can study anything and everything as long as you are accepted into the course and you meet all the necessary requirements. In India, you are only allowed to study Medicine. The healthcare system in the US is far more technologically advanced. While in India, the doctors still use pen and paper to take notes and patients are seen on a first come, first served basis.
- Apart from the educational aspects of studying in the US, you’ll also have the opportunity to live and work there. If you enjoy traveling and exploring new places, the USA is a great start as you’ll have the option to work there or move to another country. Another great opportunity is that studying abroad will help you stand out from the crowd in the job market after you’ve graduated. You’ll have more job opportunities available to you and it will be easier for you to get a job in a new country after graduation.
Advantages of Studying MBBS in USA for Indian Students
- You’ll have more opportunities in the future: Students who study Medicine abroad usually return to their home country after they’ve graduated and they become doctors in their own fields. However, if you choose to study in the US, you’ll have many opportunities at your fingertips. If you want to travel, the US is a great place to start and you can find a job there in your field of study or in another country.
- You’ll have a competitive edge in the job market: The competition for Medical Colleges in India is very high and you may have been rejected from the best colleges. However, the moment you choose to study MBBS in the US, the competition is reduced to very few students from the rest of the world. This gives you a major advantage in the job market as you’ll have your pick among the top companies that are hiring.
- You’ll be able to study whatever you want: In India, you can only study Medicine and other related subjects. However, in the US, you can study anything you want, provided you meet the required coursework. You can study Psychology, Economics, Biology or any other subject that you’ve always wanted to study and make a career out of it.
- You’ll be able to live and work in the US: If you choose to study MBBS in the US, you’ll have the option to work in the US or you can move to any other country where you have the necessary skills and qualifications to work in the field of your choice. In a few years, you could be working and living in one of the most advanced countries in the world.
- You’ll get a chance to explore new cultures: When you study abroad, you get to experience new cultures, new people and new traditions. This is a great chance for you to explore new cultures and meet new people from all over the world. If you’re someone who enjoys exploring new places, cultures and people, the US is a great place to do so.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS in USA for Indian Students
The cons of studying MBBS in the US is that it’s an entirely different system that you’ll need to get used to. Many people say that the system there is more stressful than the Indian one and that it is harder to get into the best colleges in the US. It is also more expensive to study Medicine in the US and you may be required to take a language test to prove that you are capable of speaking English fluently.
MBBS in USA: Top Colleges
If you choose to study MBBS in the US, you’ll have the option to study in any college or university of your choice, provided you meet the necessary requirements and you get accepted into the course. Some of the top colleges where you can study Medicine include:
- Harvard University: Harvard University was established in the year 1636 and has been one of the most popular colleges in the US since then. It is also one of the oldest universities in the world and is known for being highly reputed and selective in their studies.
- Stanford University: Stanford University is located in California and has been one of the top colleges in the US since its inception in the early 1900s. It is considered to be one of the most prestigious universities in the world and is known for its high entrance standards.
- Yale University: Yale University was founded in the late 1700s and is one of the top-tier universities in the US. It is known for being an old and prestigious university and is one of the top 100 universities in the world. It is also one of the most expensive colleges in the world with an annual tuition fee of $74,000.
- Johns Hopkins University: Johns Hopkins University is known to be one of the top 15 universities in the US and was established in the late 1800s. It is known for its high standards in terms of education, research and admission and is a very expensive university to study in with an annual tuition fee of $64,000.
No two medical schools are the same. Each one offers different facilities, different levels of course difficulty and different results. It is important to select a medical school that suits your needs. You should be able to feel comfortable and confident in the knowledge that you are making the right decision. If you are willing to put in the effort and take the time to do the necessary research, then there is no doubt that you can find a medical school that you will be happy to study at and will help you to achieve your dream of becoming a doctor.
MBBS Course Structure
The structure of the MBBS course in the US is different for every college and university. While some colleges may have a curriculum that is more focused on the sciences, others may be more focused on the Humanities. To study Medicine in the US, you will need to complete the following courses:
- Biology: Biology is one of the most important subjects you will study as a Medical student. You will learn about the basics of Biology, how organisms work, how they function and how they are related to each other.
- Chemistry: Chemistry is another very important subject that you’ll need to study as a Medical student. You’ll learn about the concepts, theories and laws of Chemistry and how they are applied to real-life situations.
- Psychology: Psychology is a very interesting and important subject that you can study while pursuing your MBBS course in the US. You’ll learn about the various concepts, theories and laws of Psychology and how they are applied in everyday situations.
- Research Methodology: Research Methodology is a subject you may be required to study in some colleges and universities. You’ll learn about the various concepts and theories of the Research Methodology and how to apply them to real-life situations.
MBBS Course Duration
The course duration for the MBBS course in the US is usually 8 to 10 years. Depending on the college, the course duration may differ. Some colleges may have an undergraduate course that lasts 4 years and a graduate course that lasts 4 years while others may have an undergraduate course that lasts 6 years and a graduate course that lasts 4 years. You’ll have to check the course duration for the particular college you wish to study in.
MBBS Admission Process
There are various different ways you can apply to study MBBS in the USA. These are
- Home Schooled Students – If you are home schooled or have equivalent qualifications, you can directly apply to a university or college for a pre-medical program. You can find out which universities and colleges provide pre-medical courses from NACAC.
- Standardized Tests – You can also take SAT and ACT tests and try to apply to a university or college as an international student.
- Undergraduate Curriculum – You can also apply to medical schools while you’re still in college. This requires you to have a very high GPA as you will be competing against the best of the best.
There are a few things you will need to make sure are fulfilled before you can apply for MBBS in USA. These include
- Age – You should be at least 17 years old at the time of admission.
- Language Proficiency – You will need a very good grasp of the English language as most of the lectures are in English.
- Identification – You need to have a valid passport or travel document.
Documents Required for MBBS in USA
When you apply for a university or college, you will need to submit a few documents. These include
- Academic Records – Your transcript should be in English and show your grades for the past few years.
- Standardized Test Scores – Make sure you take the SAT and ACT tests before applying and send the scores to the desired medical schools.
- Letters of Recommendation – You will need to have at least 2-3 letters of recommendation such as your teachers or mentors.
- Personal Statement – This is your chance to show them why you should be chosen. Be sure to include any achievements and special skills.
- CV or Resume – Include all the things you have done in the past and any interests you have.
Cost of Study for MBBS in USA
Medicine is undoubtedly one of the most expensive subjects to study. The good news is that you can expect to pay almost the same for studying medicine in the USA as you would studying in your country.
- The cost of living in the USA is about $15,000 per year.
- Hostels or rooms in shared apartments would cost you around $7,000 per year.
- Your food and travel expenses would cost you around $3,000 per year.
- Other expenses like books, transportation and a laptop would cost you around $3,000 per year.
- The total cost of studying in the USA would be $20,000 per year.
- The cost of studying medicine abroad would vary according to the university you choose.
- The average cost of studying medicine at an American university would be between $30,000 and $60,000 per year.
- The cost would depend on the university you choose, and whether you study online or attend a campus.
Scholarships for MBBS in USA
There are many scholarships available for international students. These are provided by both government and non-governmental organizations such as the U.S. Department of State and the Fulbright Program. You can also ask your country’s embassy about any scholarships for students studying abroad. You can also look for scholarships that are offered by the university you want to study at. The scholarship amounts and criteria would vary depending on the university. Some universities also offer scholarships for students who want to study medicine.
Job Prospects and Salary after MBBS in USA
Apart from being a noble profession, being a doctor is a very profitable career. According to the data collected by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the average annual wage for physicians in the United States is $208,000. Physicians can work in government, academia, or the private sector. If you are interested in research, you can also work as a medical scientist or go into the medical field. This article has been a guide to studying medicine abroad and hopefully it has helped you decide where you would like to study.
Student Visa for MBBS in USA
Depending on your nationality, you will be required to apply for either a J-1 or H-1B visa. It’s important to note that you will need to be accepted into a recognized medical school before you can apply for this visa. Some universities will require you to be interviewed before they accept you into their program. J-1 visas are issued to visiting students who will be studying in the USA for less than 2 years. H-1B visas are issued to students who will be studying in the USA for more than 2 years. You will be required to have a letter of acceptance from the medical school, a statement of financial support and documentation that shows you have enough money to be able to stay for the duration of your course.
About MCAT Exam
The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is a standardized exam that most medical schools in the USA use to assess the suitability of a candidate for admission into their program. There are 2 different types of MCAT exams, the standard and the new MCAT. The standard MCAT is the one that is most widely accepted by universities and is used as a benchmark to gauge an applicant’s potential. The new MCAT exam is being increasingly used by universities as an alternative to the standard MCAT exam. The standard MCAT exam consists of a total of 5 sections: Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Verbal Reasoning, Writing Sample and an optional section called the Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) section. The new MCAT exam consists of 4 sections: Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample.
Medical Education in the USA Accredited by
If you are looking at studying medicine abroad, it is important you choose a university that is accredited by the Commission on Recognition of Health Care Professionals (CRHCP).
The CRHCP is an independent organization that accredits health care education programs that are delivered outside of the USA.
The medical schools in the USA accredited by the CRHCP are listed below:
– Arizona State University
– Boston University
– Georgetown University
– George Washington University
– Harvard University
– Indiana University
– New York University
– Ohio State University
– Ohio University
– Oregon Health and Science University
– Penn State University
– Rutgers University
– SUNY Downstate Medical Center
– SUNY University at Buffalo
– Texas A&M University
– University of Arizona
– University of California
– University of California
– Los Angeles
– University of California
– San Francisco
– University of Central Florida
– University of Chicago
– University of Colorado
– University of Connecticut
– University of Florida
– University of Iowa
– University of Kansas
– University of Louisville
– University of Maryland
– University of Miami
– University of Michigan
– University of Minnesota
– University of Nebraska
– University of New Mexico
– University of North Carolina
– Chapel Hill
– University of Pennsylvania
– University of Pittsburgh
– University of Rochester
– University of South Carolina
– University of Southern California
– University of Texas
– University of Virginia
– University of Washington
– University of Wisconsin
– Vanderbilt University
Syllabus for Studying Medicine in USA
The first step towards studying medicine abroad is to make sure that you are studying the right course. The most common course that aspiring medical students study is the MBBS which stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. Once you’ve determined the course you will be studying, the next step is to decide on the universities that offer that course. There are hundreds of universities in the USA that offer a course in medicine, you can begin your search by looking at the table above to see which universities are accredited by the CRHCP and what courses they offer. Once you have found a university that offers the course you want to study, you then need to look at the syllabus for that particular course. The syllabus will outline all the topics you need to study during your time of study there. It would also be a good idea to find out what grades are required to get admitted into the medical school. This will give you a good idea as to how prepared you need to be to apply.
MBBS in USA after 12th
Once the 12th examinations are over, the best thing to do is start preparing for the entrance exam. The many entrance exams that you can choose from include the NEET, AIPMT, AIIMS, PBE, JIPMER, MHCET, TNEA, MCI and several others. A lot of students start preparing for these entrance exams as soon as they finish their 12th grade. You will need to make sure that you have ample time to prepare for them so that you can get yourself into a good medical school. If you have already started a course of study at the university that you plan to apply for, you can take a leave of absence or defer the admission for a year to give yourself enough time to prepare for the entrance exams.
Is it Safe for Indian Students to do MBBS in USA?
Many Indian students choose to pursue a course in medicine abroad. The main reason for this is that there is a greater demand for doctors in India than there is in other countries. As a result, many medical students are unable to find jobs upon completion of their course. Whereas in countries like the USA, there is a shortage of medical students. Apart from the demand for doctors, many Indian students also choose to study medicine abroad for financial reasons. The tuition fees for medical courses in USA are significantly lower than they are in other countries.
Cost of Studying Medicine in USA for Indian Students
The cost of studying Medicine in the USA can vary from $250,000 to $350,000 including tuition, accommodation, boarding and food, books and travel, etc. The fee at some of the most expensive universities for an MBBS course can go up to $75,000 per annum. The fee amount will differ from one university to another, and it can also be contingent upon your nationality, credit history and your course length. Some universities will charge you as per your credit score, so if you have a good score, you’ll end up paying a lesser amount as compared to someone with a poor credit score.
Education Loan Facilities for Indian Students
While studying in the USA, you will have to take out a loan to fund your studies. The good news is that you can avail a loan from the U.S government as well as private banks. The loan amount you can get varies between $50,000 to $80,000. Most of the banks will consider your credit score while giving out a loan. Students with a good credit score are more likely to get a higher loan amount as compared to someone with a poor credit score. The percentage of interest on the loan can vary depending on the bank you choose.
Value of USA’s MBBS Degree in India
A common question that medical students from India studying in the U.S often ask is “how will studying in the USA increase your employability back in India?” Well, the answer is simple really. Almost every university in the U.S is accredited by a global body called the “General Council for Medical Education” or the “Association of American Medical Colleges” (AAMC). This basically ensures that the degree you earn from the university is globally recognized. The university you choose to study at in the U.S should be accredited by one of these two global bodies. This will ensure that your degree will be globally recognized and you’ll be able to get a job anywhere in the world.
Accommodation Facilities for Indian Students in USA
The accommodation facilities in the USA vary from state to state. There are certain universities that offer on-campus hostel facilities while others may provide off-campus housing. The best way to find out about the various accommodation facilities is to directly contact the universities you are interested in and ask them about their hostel and off-campus housing facilities. Now that you know all about studying Medicine in the USA, we suggest you choose the one that is best for you. After all, this is the path to a successful career where you will earn a good salary, have a steady job and get a boost in your self-esteem. Good luck!
Medical schools in the United States offer a world of opportunity to their students, who will be able to make a vital difference to the healthcare provided in the U.S. and worldwide.
The quality of research is high in the U.S. and it is possible to pursue a range of specialities there – This is not the case in most countries around the world, which often lack the resources required for good research. If you choose to study Medicine in the United States then you will have access to some of the best research facilities and you will also be afforded the opportunity to learn from some of the leading researchers in your field. Moreover, you will also be able to meet some of the most inspiring and influential people of your age.