Paramedical courses are the job-oriented courses that train the students to become efficient health-care workers. The demand of the paramedical professionals has been on a rise in the health care sector especially areas related to trauma and accident care. Because of this, there has been an increase in demand for paramedical courses as several students now want to pursue these courses and make a career out of it.
What are the 3 types of Paramedical Courses that are available?
- Certification Paramedical course – Which is usually a course having a duration of 1 year to 2 years.
- Diploma Paramedical course – Which is usually a course having a duration also of 1 year to 2 years.
- Degree Paramedical course – Which is usually a course having a duration between 1.5 years to 4 years.
Also Read: 10 Best Medical Courses After 12th Science
List of Best Paramedical Courses one can opt for After 12th Science
1. B.Sc (Audiology)
This is an undergraduate course which consists of the science of hearing, balance, and related disorders. The students who opt for this course are taught to deal with people with hearing loss. This is a course which is designed with methods to communicate with those who having hearing problems and other sensory disorder. The duration of this course is 3 years.
Eligibility Criteria for Bsc in Audiology:
- The students opting for this course must have Physics and Mathematics as their mandatory subjects in class 12th.
- The students opting for this course should score a minimum aggregate of 50% in their class 12th board examination.
Admission Procedure for Bsc in Audiology:
- The admission of the students in this course is totally based on merit.
- The procedure consists of an assessment of the candidate which is taken looking at his/her marks in class 12th board examination.
2. BSc (Medical Lab Technology)
This course is an Allied Health specialty program that includes the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease by the utilization of the clinical laboratory tests. In this field medical laboratory experts have an important part in collecting the information required so that the best care can be provided to a patient. This gives you unlimited options once you are a medical laboratory expert like practice settings, hospitals, public health facilities, nursing homes, clinics, etc. The duration of this course is 3 years.
Eligibility Criteria for BSc (Medical Lab Technology):
- The student opting for this course should be passed class 12th and should have science as their stream.
- The student should have a minimum aggregate of 55% in his/her class 12th board examination.
Admission Procedure For BSc (Medical Lab Technology):
The admission procedure for this course is based on entrance exam which is followed by a personal interview.
Some of the following entrance exams for a B.Sc. Medical Lab Technology is:
3. BSc (Nuclear Medicine)
This course is about diagnostic medical imaging and treatment specialty. This consists of Applied Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Computing with patient care skills. Nuclear Medicine is a lot more different than X-ray and CT due to it’s potential to provide minute information regarding the function of the system of the body.
Eligibility Criteria for B.Sc (Nuclear Medicine):
- The students opting for this course should have Physics, Chemistry, English along with Biology or Mathematics as their mandatory subjects in their class 12th
- The students also have to have a minimum aggregate of 50% in their class 12th board examination.
Admission Procedure For BSc (Nuclear Medicine):
The admission of students for this course is taken on the basis of their performance in class 12th board examination.
4. B.Sc (Nursing)
The Nursing course helps students to develop some critical thinking skills and competence which are required for professional nursing and midwifery. In this field, there is a huge demand for graduates and which is predicted to increase more in the near future. This degree course is registered and controlled by the Indian Nursing Council. The duration of this course is 4 years.
Eligibility Criteria for BSc Nursing:
- The students opting for this course have to sit for an entrance exam.
- The students are required to pass class 12th with a minimum of 45% in the following subjects: Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- The students applying for this course have to have English as their compulsory subject in class 12.
Admission Procedure for BSc Nursing:
- The admission in this course is taken through entrance exams conducted by the colleges.
- The form is available on the website of a particular college who has this course students have to fill up the form with the necessary documents.
5. Bachelor of Physiotherapy
This course includes healthcare which applies ways of physical movement which are exercise and massage. This course is about providing education, advice, and counseling services to those people who are old and need special treatment both mentally and physically. This course mainly teaches the students a variety of skills which are related to manual therapy, exercises, and application of electro-physical mode of treatment which helps people in cure many disease and disabilities.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Physiotherapy:
- The student opting for this course essentially requires to have science in their class 12th with subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as mandatory subjects.
- The student opting for this course should score a minimum aggregate of 50% in their class 12th board examination.
Admission Procedure for Bachelor of Physiotherapy:
- The admission of the student for course is based on the performance in the entrance exam of the colleges the student applies for.
- Once students are through the entrance exam students have to go through two more rounds which are conference and personal interview.
6. BSc (Respiratory Therapy Technology)
The work of a Respiratory therapist is to evaluate, treat, and care for patients who have breathing and other cardiopulmonary disorder. The students who opt for this course are taught to diagnose and treat cardiopulmonary problems. This course includes a study related to health, function, and treatments of the heart and lungs. The duration of this course is 3 years.
Eligibility Criteria for BSc (Respiratory Therapy Technology):
The eligibility criteria for this course is of two types:
1. Examination Pathway admission through UPESEAT (up to 80% seats)
- The students are required to score a minimum aggregate of 60% marks at higher and secondary class i.e. in their class 10 and class 12 level.
- The students are required to score a minimum aggregate of 60% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in class 12.
2. Non-Examination Pathway which is admission through Board Merit/ JEE Mains Score (Up to 20% of seats):
- Board merit – The student needs to score a minimum aggregate of 80% in both classes 10 and 12. Along with that a minimum of 80% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in class 12 is required.
- JEE Mains Merit – The student needs to score a minimum of 60% marks at both class 10 and class 12. Also, a minimum of 60% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in class 12.
7. BSc (Radiography)
This course consists of a study like Clinical Radiotherapy, Radiobiology, Clinical Trails and Palliative care, Clinical Chemotherapy, etc. This course teaches the students Diagnostic and Therapeutic Radiotherapy which is considered as the treatment of cancers and tumors with the help of radiations.
Eligibility for BSc (Radiography):
- The students opting for this should have Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as mandatory subjects.
- The students have to also score a minimum aggregate of 50% in his/her class 10 and 12 board examination.
Admission Procedure for BSc (Radiography):
The admission of students for this course in many colleges is done on the basis of two things:
- On the basis of their performance in class 10 and 12.
- On the basis of their performance in the entrance exam conducted by that particular Institute.
8) BSc (Operation Theatre Technology)
In this course students are taught about the Ethics, Layout of Operation Theatre along with that how to handle the equipment. Their job is to provide help to Surgeons, Specialists, Anaesthesiologist as well as Nurses. The initial work of an Operation Theatre Technician is to provide the surgical instruments to the Doctors, to clean surgical instruments, check whether they are clean and are kept in proper places before an operation. They also take care of the surgical patient before and after the operation and provide assistance to the surgeon or the nurses in different procedures. They even make sure the OT room is well sterilize and disinfected. The duration of the course is 3 years.
Eligibility Criteria for BSc (Operation Theatre Technology):
The student who has completed his/her class 12th with the science stream can apply for this course.
Admission Procedure for BSc (Operation Theatre Technology):
- The admission of the students for this course depends on the merit score in the class 12th board examination.
- Although many college have their own entrance exam which the students have to sit for getting admission in that particular college.
- Some entrance exams conducted by those colleges are:
- NIMS School of Paramedical Science and Technology Entrance Exams
- Tech Mahindra SMART Academy for Healthcare Entrance Exams
- Chitkara School Of Health Science Entrance Exam
- University of Technology Entrance Exams
The salary of the paramedical professionals is decent enough and it keeps increasing with experience. The private sector also offers a better pay package than the public sector. Hence, students can think of pursuing paramedical courses as this is a career arena whose demand is on the rise.